Who would not love to have a good olive snack? This fantastic snack originally was from the Mediterranean. It is the favorite snack of people who are living in the Mediterranean. It is also known as a Mediterranean eating and cooking style. However, if you are fond of an olive snack, you need to buy it in bulk. It is because rushing to the supermarket for olives every day is not feasible.
Can you freeze olives? The good news is, yes, you can freeze olives for a long 6 months. However, you have to be sure about the storage techniques. Freezing olives will need you to use the airtight container. Apart from this, if you wish to improve the texture, choosing brine before freezing is also a great option.
Being one of the most common snacks available, it is mandatory to find the proper techniques. Remember that improper freezing techniques can snatch away its taste and texture. Thus you have to be mindful of your actions before you freeze olives. So, if you are looking forward to knowing more about the freezing techniques and everything else, keep reading.
Table of Contents
- 1 Can You Freeze This? A Great Ultimate List
- 2 How to freeze olives?
- 3 How to free brined olives?
- 4 How long can you freeze olives?
- 5 How to defrost olives?
- 6 Frequently Asked Question
- 7 Can You Freeze Olives Summary
Can You Freeze This? A Great Ultimate List
The BIGGEST List is about food, vegetables, and fruits that can be frozen.
How to freeze olives?
Fresh olives are the easiest to freeze. You only require following some simple steps, and you will be able to freeze olives. These steps are solely created to retain the texture and taste of olives. Direct freezing can result in snatching away its authentic taste. So follow these steps when you plan to freeze olives.
- Wash Olives: The first thing you need to do is pop olives into a colander. After this, you need to use cool water to wash them for a few minutes. After washing, you need to leave the olives in a colander and leave them to dry. If needed, you can also use paper towels for proper drying.
- Store them in a container: Once you are sure that they have dried, you need to grab a freezer-safe container. Make sure that it has an airtight lid before transferring the olives into the freezer. After this, you need to put olives into a container. You have to make sure that you leave at least half an inch on top. Since olives have the tendency to expand after freezing, it is highly recommended to leave some space.
- Freeze the olives: Once you have put the lid on the container, you need to label it. Write the date and name to make it easy for you to understand. This process will keep you informed and won’t let olives dry.
These are some of the significant steps that can work for any olives. You can stay assured that whether it is green olives, stuffed olives, black olives, and nocellara olives, this method will suit every type.
How to free brined olives?
You have the freedom to put olives in saltwater before freezing. This method will retain the texture, and you will love to have it after thawing it. So, here are the steps.
- Make brine liquid: The very first thing is to make the brine. It should be done by using boiled water. Use four-ounce salt in every gallon of water. To be precise, use 120g salt in 4 liters of water. Prepare the mixture beforehand.
- Brine olives: Now, you have to use a pan and put the olives. Once you put the olives, you require pouring the brine solution. Now you need to boil this solution with olives for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse: Once you have boiled it, you need to remove the brine from the olives. Pour cold water on the olives, and then take out the olive for drying. You have to make sure that the olives are perfectly dried before freezing.
- Store and freeze: Now, you have to use a freezer-safe container and put the dried olives in. Make sure you keep a little gap from the top. Lastly, label and name the container and put it in the freezer.
How long can you freeze olives?
Olives have an excellent shelf life. It is the same for frozen olives too. You will be able to retain the freshness of olives for a good six months. However, it is sure that olives will not stay in your freezer for that long. The reason is that olives are too tempting not to have.
How to defrost olives?
Defrosting olives is again a straightforward process. You don’t have to do much to it. All you need is to take the olives and keep them in the fridge for a few hours. Giving some time would allow the olives to defrost properly.
The best way is to leave them in your fridge overnight. It makes sure that the olives are thawed and are now ready to use.
Frequently Asked Question
Can I refreeze olives?
It is strongly not advised to refreeze olives. This might harm its texture and taste. Avoid refreezing if you don’t want to taste bland and mushy olives. Eventually, it will go inside your dustbin. So, it is better to have it after freezing or fresh.
Can I freeze stuffed olives?
to pay attention to the stuffing before freezing it. If the olives contain cheese, chances are there of becoming spongy and dry. Thus, it is not an excellent choice to freeze. However, if the stuffing is of anchovies and pimento, it can freeze well.
Can I freeze chopped black olives?
Yes, you will be. You need to store portions in an airtight container. You can also use the freezer bags that ensure they are tightly sealed. Make sure that you are not overstuffing the container or the bag. Leave some gaps for air to move around.
Can You Freeze Olives Summary
So, now that you have got the detailed answer, can you freeze olives? Hopefully, you will not think before buying in bulk. However, it is mostly advised that you store them correctly to enjoy the texture and quality of olives. Olives freeze well, but only when you store them in an airtight container. If you have stuffed olives, always pay attention to the stuffing before freezing.
More Related Article:
[catlist name=Freezing numberposts=8]