The distinctive smoky flavor of chipotle is its main reason for success. Made from fully-ripened red jalapeños, chipotle peppers add a spicy kick to your soups, burrito bowls, gourmet salads, salsa, and more. You can either purchase the whole chipotle peppers or its sauce.
But how long does chipotle last in the fridge? Chipotle can last for 4-5 days in the fridge. If sealed properly, you can even store it for 1-2 months. To further extend its shelf life, you can keep it in the freezer where it can last for 5-6 months.
And when it’s time to add the spicy kick and smokiness of chipotle, you can reheat it. Read on as I discuss all this in detail.
Table of Contents
- 1 How long does chipotle last in the fridge?
- 2 How long does chipotle last in the freezer?
- 3 Can canned chipotle peppers be consumed past their expiry date?
- 4 How to know if chipotle has gone bad?
- 5 How to properly store chipotle?
- 6 Can you reheat chipotle?
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 8 How Long Does Chipotle Last In The Fridge Summary
How long does chipotle last in the fridge?
Chipotle peppers can last for around 4-5 days in the fridge. Note that this is subject to their storage method. If you’ve opened the chipotle pepper can, make sure to seal it properly before sliding it into the fridge. By doing so, you can even extend its shelf life by a month or two.
Furthermore, it’s recommended to store chipotle in a plastic or glass jar. This also helps towards the shelf life of the pepper once it has been opened and consumed.
How long does chipotle last in the freezer?
Chipotle can last for 5-6 months in the freezer if stored properly. If you’re yet to open the chipotle can, it’ll complete its expiry period. Once you’ve opened the can, you must seal it tightly before putting it into the freezer.
Although an airtight plastic or glass jar is the best recommendation, you can also go for airtight freezer bags if required.
A quick tip: Maintain your freezer temperature at 0°F (-18°C) for the best results.
Can canned chipotle peppers be consumed past their expiry date?
Being one of the expensive peppers, you must have wondered if canned chipotle peppers can be consumed past their expiry, right? So, the answer to this query is a big fat YES. You can consume chipotle peppers even after their expiry date.
However, two conditions must be fulfilled.
- You must have stored the peppers in the fridge or freezer
- There should be no signs of spoilage, i.e., bad odor, strange taste, or off-color
If the above two conditions are satisfied, consuming canned chipotle after their expiry would not harm.
If you’re wondering how this is possible, here’s the answer.
Although cans of chipotle peppers have best-by or best-before dates printed on them, they indicate the period for which the peppers will retain their quality. This doesn’t mean they should be simply discarded post the mentioned best-by or best-before date.
How to know if chipotle has gone bad?
If you suspect your chipotle peppers have gone bad, the following signs are its confirmation.
- A foul smell is coming off the peppers.
- Chipotle peppers are red-colored. If you notice discoloration, it’s better to discard the peppers.
- If you’re still not sure, just taste the pepper. If it doesn’t taste as spicy as it should be or is very bad, discard it straight away.
- If the chipotle pepper can is bulging, it’s another indication to not use the peppers. This is because bulging means the microbes inside the can have discharged gas inside the can.
Consuming chipotle that has gone bad can be harmful to your body.
How to properly store chipotle?
To properly store chipotle to enhance its shelf life and use past its expiry, its storage matters the most.
- Don’t allow air to make any contact with the chipotle peppers as it could initiate bacterial growth. Use an airtight container instead.
- If you want to extend the shelf life of chipotle from 1-2 months to up to 6 months, use the freezer instead of the fridge.
- While using the freezer, make sure to wrap the peppers with heavy-duty plastic wrap.
Can you reheat chipotle?
Yes, you can reheat frozen chipotle peppers. There are two easy and popular methods to do so.
- In microwave
The first method utilizes a microwave. To reheat chipotle in the microwave, use a microwave-safe bowl. Transfer the contents to the bowl and heat the bowl for a couple of minutes. Take it out and stir. If you feel chipotle isn’t ready yet, you can heat it again for 25-30 seconds.
If you’re using the chipotle burrito bowl, make sure it’s microwave-safe. If it is, you can directly transfer it to the microwave. However, remove fresh veggies, salsa, sour cream, lettuce, and guacamole beforehand.
Only meat, rice, tofu, and beans can be heated.
- Using skillet
If you don’t have a microwave at home, don’t worry. You can also use any regular skillet for this purpose. Heat the skillet on a low flame and cook chipotle for 5-7 minutes. Once done, take off the skillet from the flame to avoid burning or overcooking.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How long does refrigerated Chipotle last?
If you’re storing chipotle in the refrigerator, it’ll last for up to 5 days or 1-2 months if properly sealed. If you’re storing chipotle in the freezer, it’ll last for 5-6 months.
How many days is Chipotle good in the fridge?
Chipotle stays good for 4-5 days in the fridge.
Are chipotle bowls microwave-safe?
Not all chipotle burrito bowls are microwave safe. Hence, it’s recommended to either check the seller’s website or look for any “microwave-safe” label on the bowl.
Can I eat 3-days-old Chipotle?
Yes, you can eat 3-days-old chipotle.
How Long Does Chipotle Last In The Fridge Summary
That’s all the information about how long chipotle lasts in the fridge. While it’s just 4-5 days, proper storage of these spicy peppers can extend their shelf life to a month or two. Don’t know how to store or reheat chipotle? I’ve explained that too.