Whether you bake the beans in brown, rich sugar sauce, or piquant tomato base, the chances of leftovers are impossible, especially if you are a diehard fan of beans. But, if you bake beans in surplus quantity and find a couple of morsels left at the bottom of the pan, you start wondering how to store them, if it is good to refrigerate the leftover baked beans, and how long do baked beans last in the fridge.
How Long Do Baked Beans Last in the Fridge? Baked beans stay good and edible for 3-4 days in the fridge, provided that it is stored properly in an airtight container. Whether homemade baked beans or store-bought canned baked beans, they keep for 3-4 days in the fridge. If you want to preserve the leftover baked beans longer, freeze them.
The guide doesn’t end here, as there is more that you must learn before refrigerating the leftover baked beans. So, continue reading the post to understand the shelf-life of leftover baked beans and the required storage conditions.
Table of Contents
- 1 How Long Do Baked Beans Last in the Fridge?
- 2 How to Store Baked Beans Safely in the Fridge?
- 3 How to Know When the Baked Beans Have Gone Bad?
- 4 How Long Baked Beans Last Outside a Fridge?
- 5 Can You Freeze Leftover Baked Beans?
- 6 What are the Health Risks of Consuming Spoiled Baked Beans?
- 7 Conclusion
How Long Do Baked Beans Last in the Fridge?
Refrigerating the leftover baked beans is the best way to preserve the beans for a couple of days to reuse them again. However, the baked beans cooked properly with sauces can last for 4-5 days in the fridge, provided that it is stored properly in an airtight container.
As per USDA, you must not use the cooked, baked beans stored in the fridge for more than four days. The store-bought canned baked beans last for 3-5 days in the fridge after opening. It needs continuous refrigeration after opening to sustain its peak quality and taste.
The unopened canned baked beans can last for years until it is open or up to the printed use-by date. It needs no refrigeration, and you can store it in your kitchen pantry at places away from direct heat sources, moisture, and sunlight.
The home-cooked baked beans can also be refrigerated to preserve their quality and flavor for 4-5 days. However, you have to put the baked beans in the fridge within two hours of cooking. It must not be allowed to sit outside the fridge for more than 1-2 hours.
How to Store Baked Beans Safely in the Fridge?
As mentioned earlier, the unopened canned baked beans need no refrigeration, and hence you can store the can in the pantry or cabinet away from light and heat sources. But, after opening the can, it needs continuous refrigeration, and the same is also applicable for the home-baked beans. So, below is a helpful guide on storing the baked beans safely in the fridge.
- Follow the steps carefully to safely store the baked beans and use them for a couple of days extra.
- Cook the beans properly in sauces and let the leftover beans cool down at room temperature.
- Transfer the baked beans into an airtight container if you have canned beans. After the home-baked beans cool down, transfer them into the airtight container. Ensure to use a glass or steel airtight container with a secured lid.
- Cover the container with tin foil before securing the lid. It will ensure no moisture or bacteria seep in and spoil the beans.
- Put the container into the fridge and store it under temperature before 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
How to Know When the Baked Beans Have Gone Bad?
There are a couple of ways to help you know when the baked beans have gone bad and are no longer edible. If you have leftover black beans stored in the fridge for more than four days, check the following to know if it is edible or has gone bad.
- Check the storage time and ensure it is not more than five days old.
- Look for moldy growth and discoloration in the baked beans before consuming them. If the baked beans are cooked with meat or sausages, they will have fat spots on the surface. You must not confuse them with mold.
- A whiff test is the best way to check if your baked beans are still edible. If you notice any sour smell coming from the baked beans after storing them for four to five days, discard them.
- The baked beans that are more than five days old will radiate a sour taste. If you notice a sour taste in the baked beans, err on the side of the caution and discard the baked beans.
How Long Baked Beans Last Outside a Fridge?
As per USDA, leftover baked beans must not be left outside the fridge for more than two hours. The leftover baked beans start to degrade quickly within 1-2 hours of cooking when it sits outside at a temperature above 90 degrees Fahrenheit. So, it is suggested that leftover baked beans must be refrigerated once they are cool within two hours of cooking to preserve their quality for another 4-5 days in the fridge.
Can You Freeze Leftover Baked Beans?
Yes, you can freeze the leftover baked beans, especially if you want to sustain their peak quality longer. Freezing will help the baked beans sustain their peak quality and flavor for up to two months. But, it must be frozen in an airtight container that is tightly sealed.
What are the Health Risks of Consuming Spoiled Baked Beans?
If you accidentally consume the spoiled baked beans, you may experience different symptoms, including diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, mild fever, abdominal pain, weakness, and other symptoms of food poisoning. It may also cause serious health conditions that may require hospitalization in severe cases. So, you must always look for the spoilage signs before consuming baked beans stored for more than 4-5 days in the fridge.
Hopefully, now you know how long baked beans last in the fridge? In short, baked beans have a shelf-life of 4-5 days when they are continuously refrigerated within 2 hours of cooking. But, it must be stored carefully in a sealed, airtight container to preserve its peak quality longer and prevent moisture and bacteria from leaking in and spoiling the baked beans.
It is necessary to check the spoilage signs before using the baked beans stored in the fridge for more than 4-5 days. So, next time when you have leftover baked beans, don’t discard them; instead, refrigerate them to use for a couple of days extra.