Lentils are a delicious and easy to cook recipe. These are rich protein sources that can have significant benefits for your health. You will be able to prepare lentils pretty easily. It does not take much time to get the desired results. However, if you plan to prepare lentils for a party with your family, you need to store them. If you don’t know much about the way to store lentil soup, you can find the details in this guide.
So if you want to know how long does lentil soup last in the fridge? The answer is about 3 to 4 days. You can keep them stored in your fridge when you have cooked the lentils. However, you must be sure about the way to store it to ensure the best results. Remember not to overstretch its store days as it might start losing its taste and texture after that. Besides, it is not safe to consume after the mentioned days.
When it is a party with your friends and family, you might need to cook a larger amount. It also increases the chance of leftovers. You definitely can store lentil soup in the fridge, but if you wish to store more, you can freeze it. However, there are ways to store and freeze lentil soup. You have to learn the process to enjoy the utmost benefits of having a protein-rich lentil soup.
Table of Contents
- 1 How can you store lentil soup in the fridge?
- 2 How to freeze lentil soup?
- 3 How long do canned lentils last in the fridge?
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions:
- 5 How Long Does Lentil Soup Last In The Fridge Summary
How can you store lentil soup in the fridge?
If you wish to prepare a delicious lentil soup, you first need to know how to store lentils. When you do not store them properly, lentils will lose their taste. The lentils might start becoming unfit for use. So make sure you have everything ready to store lentils in the fridge.
Following are some of the essential steps for storing lentil soup perfectly.
- You have to first allow the cooked lentils to cool down before storing them. Putting hot lentil soup in the fridge can result in sudden fluctuation. It might change the taste of the soup. Therefore, you must wait for the lentil soup to cool adequately.
- You need to make sure that you keep the lentil soup in the fridge within 2 hours. If you wish to store lentils for further use, make sure to store them within 2 hours. It makes sure that the freshness and taste of lentils remain good. It is always better to store them in portions to take them out as per your requirements.
- Last and the most important thing are to use an airtight container. There is no rocket science that an airtight container is a must to store cooked food. It helps the food to stay fresh for a more extended period. You can also use any ziplock bag if you want. Make sure that you fill it to its brim to reduce the chance of air contact.
So these are the most important things that you must know before you store lentil soup in the fridge. Again it depends on the ingredients that you have put in while preparing it.
How to freeze lentil soup?
When you have a considerable leftover, you might need to freeze them. However, freezing can be a good choice for freshly cooked lentil soup and leftovers. Before you freeze the lentil soup, you have to make sure to properly cool it. As mentioned before, never put hot lentil soup in the freezer.
- Keep it in the fridge for 30 minutes and let it chill.
- Take the chilled soup out and use a resealable plastic bag.
- It is advisable to use small containers rather than large plastic bags.
- Using small containers can help defrost and reheat.
- Put the soup in a preferred container very carefully.
- Fill the container halfway.
- Squeeze out air as much as you can before you seal the plastic bag.
- Label the plastic bag, and then put them flat in your freezer.
It is one of the most popular ways to freeze lentil soup in the freezer. However, apart from this, you can also freeze differently.
This method will need you to use the ice cube trays. Once you have cooled the soup, you have to pour it into the ice cube trays directly. Then leave it for two hours in the freezer. Once it has become rock-solid, take out the cubes and use reusable bags to store them in the freezer. Store them flat in the freezer, and don’t forget to label them.
How long do canned lentils last in the fridge?
If you have brought cans, you can store them easily. Unopened lentil cans do not need a fridge to store. You will be able to store unopened lentils in a cool and dry place. However, make sure that you use the lentils before the expiry date.
However, if you have opened the lentil can, you can store them in your fridge for 5 days. You have to count these 5 days from the date of opening the can. You will be able to easily freeze the canned lentils, similar to the way you freeze cooked lentils.
You need to dry the lentils, pre-freeze them properly and use an airtight container to place them. This is when the lentils are ready to be frozen. You can easily use frozen canned lentils for 6 months.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can dry lentils do badly?
Yes! You can store dried lentils properly. Dry lentils can stay for 2 to 3 years. It is always advisable to store in a closed container.
How do overcooked red lentils taste?
If somehow you have overcooked red lentils, you should not try tasting them. They are far from tasty. Always maintain a gentle simmer for a perfect lentil soup.
Is it ok to eat lentil soup that is left out overnight?
If you don’t get any bad smell or cannot observe any changes in the texture, you can have it. However, as it is mentioned, make sure you store it within 2 hours. It will make sure about its quality and taste.
How Long Does Lentil Soup Last In The Fridge Summary
So now that you have got a complete idea about how long does lentil soup last in the fridge? Hopefully, you will not find it hard. No wonder, throwing the leftovers is ever a great idea and hence choosing to store lentil soup can be the best step. This way, by properly storing lentil soup, you can make sure to preserve its taste and texture.